Monday, April 27, 2020

4.26.2020


Words I'm Sick of and Words I Hope I'll be Saying Forever
There are certain words and phrases that we have all heard ad nauseam in recent weeks, in meetings, classes and conversations, or that we find ourselves repeating daily. It is yet another form of tedium added to that of working mostly in front of a screen, endless virtual meetings, and deciding what to watch next on our favorite streaming service in order to “escape” for just a little while. (And, no, I haven’t succumbed to “Tiger King” yet, but if I do, I’ll let you know as it probably means an apocalyptic seal has burst somewhere.) I think I am most tired of hearing and using the word “unprecedented” in reference to the times in which we find ourselves. Yes, of course, I know that the times in which we are living and the situation facing our world is like nothing before, which is to say...ugh…“unprecedented.” But if you think of it, every time is unprecedented! There is no time exactly like another; they each come with their own particular challenges and blessings. I am fond, however, of the saying, “History never repeats itself, but sometimes it rhymes!” And there is certainly wisdom to be gained by looking back at where we have been, both to avoid the mistakes of the past and to give us hope for the future. I’ve also grown tired of saying things like, “This is tough,” or “It’s just so strange.” Yes, it is. I know it, you know it, but pointing it out over and over again doesn’t seem to help. I do believe that by God’s grace and our cooperation we will get through this. And maybe we all need to focus on that right now and on doing our part through “social distancing” (another phrase I don’t care if I ever use again after all of this), looking out for each other, and putting appropriate pressure on those who have the power to help us “flatten the curve” (and the hits just keep on coming).  But there are some things I find myself saying more in these days that I have not grown tired of yet. Like many of you, I have been in more frequent communication with family lately, and I notice myself saying “I love you” more. While I have almost always “signed off” in this way with my family, I notice that I say it with more meaning now. I hope I never get tired of that. Every morning as part of my particular prayer routine, I begin my day by making the sign of the cross over my lips and saying, “Lord, open my lips and my mouth will proclaim your praise.” This phrase comes from Psalm 51 and is part of the “Liturgy of the Hours,” the daily cycle of psalms, readings and other prayers that I have promised to pray as a priest. I hope that I will always say this and that, indeed, I would give praise to God now and for eternity. Perhaps we can all be thinking about the words we use and how we use them in this (there it is again) unprecedented time.
Be well and God bless! --Fr. Thom               
Fr. Thom and Megan Grady host a podcast where they discuss pop culture as well as topics regarding faith.

Check out  
episode #8 of "The Faith Awakens!"

You still haven't listened
to 
episode #1?
Special guests this week - Jenny Dickes & Clay Colborn!
Tune in to KALA on 88.5FM or click here
at 12:00 noon on Sundays
to hear Fr. Thom celebrate Mass!
Click here to listen to Fr. Thom's homily from last Sunday
CRS Rice Bowls:

Did you pick up a CRS Rice Bowl this Lent and now you're not sure how to best go about donating?

Because of social distancing, we will not be collecting the bowls this year.

In the spirit of the Lenten practice of almsgiving, we encourage you to donate online instead! 
Donate online here!
Campus Ministry is always here to pray for you. Send us prayer requests here!
Digital Prayer Resources
 
Give Us This Day: Give Us This Day has made available at no charge a digital file of their periodical, which includes daily Mass texts. Visit GUTD.net and select "Digital" in the upper right of the screen.

The Diocese of Davenport: The Diocese has been posting updates about how COVID-19 has affected the Diocese as well as spiritual care resources.

Be Not Afraid Conference: Sign up for daily inspiration and hope-filled emails from C
atholic speakers.

The USCCB: The USCCB has responded to the COVID-19 pandemic and suggested several online resources, live-streamed Masses, and prayers, especially seeking the intercession of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
Have a question about a program or event going on in Campus Ministry?
Got an idea for something you'd like to see happen?
EMAIL US at ministry@sau.edu.

Follow us online for news, events, prayer and spiritual resources, plus much more:
Twitter
Instagram
Facebook